Ranchi/Varanasi: The protest by students and government job aspirants in Jharkhand over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations entered its 20th day on Thursday, with the deadlock between the protesters and the state government continuing.
The agitation, led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, has been centred at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi. The protesters are demanding greater transparency in recruitment examinations, cancellation of several disputed tests and an independent investigation into the alleged irregularities. They have sought either a CBI probe or an inquiry by a panel of retired High Court judges from outside Jharkhand.
The issue has also gained momentum outside Jharkhand. The Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) has announced a nationwide agitation over the students' demands. The organisation said demonstrations would be held at more than 1,200 universities and in districts across the country. On Thursday, ABVP workers also held a protest in Varanasi, raising slogans in support of the Jharkhand job aspirants and demanding action over the alleged examination anomalies.
The protest in Ranchi intensified earlier this week when students attempting to march towards the Jharkhand Assembly clashed with police. Authorities used water cannons, tear gas and lathi-charge to disperse the demonstrators. Police said 14 personnel were injured in the confrontation, while protesters also reported injuries. Around 110 ABVP workers were detained during the march.
The BJP subsequently observed a statewide bandh on Tuesday in protest against the police action. The shutdown affected traffic, markets and educational institutions in several parts of the state.
Meanwhile, some protesters have been on hunger strike. Four students were receiving treatment at Ranchi Sadar Hospital, while JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto continued his fast despite medical advice. Rahul Kranti, who began his hunger strike on August 4, was shifted to a liquid diet after counselling by doctors.
The state government and student representatives have already held six rounds of talks, but none has been able to resolve the dispute. Chief Minister Hemant Soren has said his government is committed to reforming the recruitment system and has assured protesters that the 14th JPSC examination will be cancelled.
The government has also defended the existing investigation, while opposition parties and student organisations have questioned its credibility.
The political battle has grown alongside the student movement. The Congress has accused the BJP of politicising the agitation, while the BJP has alleged that the government is attempting to suppress the students' voice.
With the protest now entering its 20th day, students have indicated that they will continue their agitation until their key demands are addressed.