Quetta: At least 20 people were killed and around 70 others injured after a powerful explosion targeted a shuttle train in Pakistan’s southwestern province of Balochistan on Sunday, officials said.
The blast took place near Quetta, a region that has long witnessed militant violence and security operations. According to initial reports, the train was carrying passengers when the explosion struck, causing panic, destruction and heavy casualties.
Rescue officials said the explosion was strong enough to derail parts of the train, leaving several coaches damaged. Emergency teams, including paramedics and security personnel, rushed to the site and began evacuation and medical assistance operations for the injured.
Authorities have not yet confirmed the full nature of the blast, but early indications suggest it was a targeted attack. Security forces have cordoned off the area and launched an investigation into the incident.
Hospitals in Quetta were placed on emergency alert as injured passengers were transported for treatment. Several of the wounded are reported to be in critical condition, raising fears that the death toll may rise further.
No group has officially claimed responsibility for the attack so far. However, Balochistan has frequently seen insurgent violence in recent years, with railway lines, security forces and infrastructure often being targeted.
Officials said additional security has been deployed across railway routes in the province following the incident to prevent further attacks.
The incident adds to growing concerns over security in the region, which remains one of Pakistan’s most volatile areas due to ongoing separatist and militant activities.
Authorities are continuing rescue operations while collecting evidence from the blast site to determine the exact cause and identify those responsible.