In a big operation, 14 Maoists were neutralised in a 24-hour-long fierce encounter in the forests along the Odisha-Chhattisgarh border, officials said on Tuesday.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah tweeted, "mighty blow to Naxalism." “Our security forces have achieved a major success towards building a Naxal-free Bharat. The CRPF, SOG Odisha, and Chhattisgarh Police, in a joint operation, have neutralised 14 Naxalites along the Odisha-Chhattisgarh border.”
He said, “With our resolve for a Naxal-free India and the joint efforts of our security forces, Naxalism is breathing its last today.”
Police recovered weapons and Maoist material from the site. Preliminary findings suggest several of the deceased were female Maoist operatives.
On Monday, two bodies were recovered, one of which was a female Maoist. A jawan was injured in the encounter and was airlifted to Raipur for treatment.
This is one of the biggest anti-Naxal operations in recent times and is being seen as a game changer in the Naxal movement. It’s a big blow to the Maoist groups that have been active in the region for years.
Search operation is still on at the encounter site and more bodies or weapons may be found. Official confirmation is awaited.
The operation was launched on Intelligence inputs of Maoist activity in the Kularighat reserve forest of Chhattisgarh near the Nuapada district of Odisha. The encounter started last night and continued till Tuesday morning in the forest under Manipur police station area. The death toll may rise as the operation progresses.
This comes after a recent Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh where 8 security personnel were killed when their vehicle was ambushed. Union Home Minister Amit Shah had earlier said Naxalism will be eradicated from Chhattisgarh by 2026.