Friday, Apr 04, 2025

Home > National > Mumbai reports first GBS case: 64-year-old woman in ICU
  • National
  • Top Stories

Mumbai reports first GBS case: 64-year-old woman in ICU

image

A 64-year-old woman from Mumbai has become the first in the city to be diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS), a rare nerve disorder.


According to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) officials, the patient is a resident of Andheri East and is admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a civic-run hospital.


She was hospitalised with a history of fever and diarrhoea which was followed by ascending paralysis. Further details about the patient are awaited.


Guillain-Barré syndrome is a rare neurological condition in which the body’s immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system, according to the World Health Organization.


In this syndrome, the nerves controlling muscle movement and those that carry pain, temperature, and touch sensations are affected leading to muscle weakness, loss of sensation in the legs and/or arms and difficulties in swallowing or breathing.


It’s a rare condition and though it’s more common in adults and males, people of all ages can be affected.


Maharashtra’s Health Department has reported a growing number of suspected Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) cases with 173 individuals detected so far. The number of suspected GBS deaths in Maharashtra’s Pune district stood at six.


The Health Department said, “A total of 173 suspected patients have been detected to date. Out of these, 140 patients were diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS). A total of 6 deaths have occurred. Of these, 1 death was confirmed as GBS and 5 were suspected deaths.”


GBS outbreak in Pune: Authorities seal 30 water supply plants


In a swift response to the growing GBS outbreak, the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) had sealed 30 private water supply plants in the Nanded village, Dhayari and adjoining areas on Sinhgad Road of Pune city.


These areas have been identified as the epicentre of the outbreak. The action was taken on these plants in the last two days, said a PMC official on Thursday.